Sunday, July 22, 2012

Parent Teacher Conference

Last night I had parent teacher conference for Bryan and Cali. It has been an emotional roller coaster this last week for me. We got back from the center for disabilities Bryan's IQ test. It was a 58. That's not good, not good at all. As a matter of fact I really, really can't believe it. Now, the good thing about Bryan is he is really smarter than that. We all agree, his therapists, teacher, resource leaders, parents, grand parents...all of us agree that it is not a concrete number. We think that he's more of a 72. He had his testing through the school district last year, and the numbers show around the 70 range. Anyway, because of this news, I had been looking into the future of our little Bryan. How do you deal with a child that has a low IQ? I can see working with a disability where you just know off the bat that your child won't be self sufficient. But with this, the questions swirl like a blinding snow storm in my head. So I just resolved that I'm not going to worry about the future. I am going to take it a day at a time and fight for what he needs now, not what he needs for the future. I see this as two things: 1. A defense mechanism for my heart strings. 2. I can enable him with tools that he needs right now to learn for the future. Armed with my Psyc Eval I went into the school to show the resource teacher, his kindergarten teacher what our new findings were. They were so happy to get it, but totally agreed that Bryan was not that "number". Sooooo, his teacher changed his homework for each night because he struggles with reading so much each night. He is on grade level for knowing his letters and their sounds!! YEAH little bubbers.

Cali is doing great. She struggles with the timing for math. She is doing great when it comes to concepts and worksheets, but she just struggles with the time constraints. She pouts in class too when things don't go her way. Am I surprised?? NO. Her teacher stated that she just ignores it.

As a parent, I am sooo glad to have a team of professionals that are willing to morph things to my kids. I am so willing to work with them and help them because they in turn help my kids. Great parent teacher conferences last night. Now today is the other two kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment